Family law is an area of law dealing with these two major areas:
- Family matters
- Domestic relations
Nowadays, the family law firm Houston covers everything, namely:
- Child custody cases
- Prenuptial agreements
- Domestic violence
If the issue involves family relationships, the family law firm Houston can help you address the problem. The common specialties of the family law firm are:
- Divorce and related issues
What does the family law firm handle?
Do you experience family law issues, and do you need legal advice? The family law has three categories:
- Before the marriage
- During the marriage
- The law after the marriage
Whatever the problem is, it determines the type of lawyer you need. You need the legal assistance of family law firm lawyers to deal with these family-related issues:
- Divorce and separation. Divorce is the most common reason people consult with a family lawyer. Unluckily, statistics show that 40 to 50% of all marriages end up in divorce. You need a lawyer for matters related to the following:
- marital property division
- alimony or spousal support
- and other issues.
- Child support, custody, and visitation. Child custody and child support are a part of the separate legal proceedings and divorce process. Parents agree on everything else, but they argue over the child’s custody and visitation rights. Having a lawyer you are comfortable with about custody agreements, and parenting makes the process much easier. Paternity is also a part of the child support case.
A single mother can petition the court to order the father of the child to provide child support, providing the paternity of the alleged father.
- Adoption, guardianship, and foster care. Adoption is a long and difficult process. A lot of private adoption agencies have their lawyers on retainer, ensuring they have legal advice on standby. Adoptive parents must consult a family lawyer before and during an adoption. There are international adoptions that require the services of specialized lawyers who know international law.
Guardianship is the legal process of caring for the child without adopting. It is sometimes done by family members when the parents of the minor child are not available or unfit to care for the child. Guardianship is a difficult legal matter that requires legal advice before the family member proceeds.
During the foster placement, the minor child becomes a ward of the state because the environment of the child is dangerous to the child’s well-being. The parents have a lawyer appointed if there are criminal charges.
The family law firm always defends you on the rights under family law.