With the implementation of the German General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) which all set to launch on May 25, 2018, businesses that handle any personal or individual data relating to German inhabitants must need the services of data protection officer. Since the business organizations will need to appoint a Datenschutzbeauftragter or data protection officer; here are some of the qualities one must check before appointing an officer.
- Expertise in IT and Law: Since this is a new law you must choose a data protection officer who is expert not only in IT but he/she must be capable to handle law related issue. This will help the business to save some sorts of money because a single person handling both the issues whether IT or Law.
- Privacy Audit: In order to put clients on the right path, there is a need of scanning the data processing processes. The firm or person you choose must be able to do private audit and should be capable of privacy audit to rest assured that your data are in safe hands and cannot be misplaced.
- IT Forensics Expertise: The officer you employ must be able to recover deleted data and contribute to the elucidation of criminal offenses through forensic analysis. This can be done only when the data protection officer has IT forensics expertise.
- Revision-Proof Data: Since it is new law the legal body you employ must delete your data carriers in a revision-proof manner and use recognized deletion standards. This is necessary in accordance with the law.
- Expertise in Computer Science: The data protection officer must assume the objective determination of facts. This is the reason why expertise in computer science is necessary besides IT forensics expertise.
- Licensing: The officer must be able to identify over or under licensing and accompany audits accordingly.